21 December 2006

Geronimo!



I was filled with pride on December 12, 2006 when I attended the dedication of the Brown-Swank Drop Zone at Fort Polk, Louisiana. Sgt. Andrew Brown was my Godson who was killed by an IED on October 8, 2004 while serving in Iraq.

Soldiers of A Company, 1st Battalion (Airborne), 509th Infantry Regiment gathered at Beauregard Parish Airport to honor two of their fallen "Geronimo's"; my Godson, Sgt Andrew Brown and Sgt Brett Swank. A portion of the airport was renamed the "Brown-Swank Drop Zone". Many of the soldiers at the dedication had served with Andy and it was nice to touch base with them.

While visiting Fort Polk, Louisiana I distributed NJ FMBA T-shirts to many of the soldiers who were thrilled to receive them. I also had the opportunity to meet with Chaplain Pete Keough of the "519th Vipers". North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue sent 1,015 T-shirts to Chaplain Keough that he distributed to the Troops in Iraq.

I posted some pictures of the dedication ceremony. Seeing these soldiers, anxious to wear the NJ FMBA T-shirt, was a wonderful thing for the soul and stresses how important this project is for those serving our country.